Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Aging...

I haven't been modeling as much this semester compared to the last couple of years, but I do have not one but two figure sessions coming up this weekend.  I did a costumed painting session a couple of weeks ago in my vintage base ball uniform.  This watercolor was painted that night by a lady named Judy...


Speaking of vintage base ball, I played in my second game on October 20th, and my quads are still sore from sprinting around the bases.  I love playing though, and I give it everything I've got when I'm out there.  But this 46-year-old body just isn't what it used to be.

A friend of mine recently posted a photograph of me with my shirt off and muscles flexed, taken in the summer of 1986.  At the time, I had only been modeling for art classes for less than two years.  I've often reflected on those early days of modeling.  My perception of myself back then was that I was so skinny that the art students must have only had skin and bones to draw.  When I saw this old picture, I was surprised by how good I looked.  I had much more muscle definition than I remember having.  And I'm really jealous of the size of my waistline then as compared to now...


I do remember modeling for a drawing class at Texas Wesleyan University back around the time this photo was taken, and a young lady in the class asked me if I lifted weights.  At the time, I thought she was kidding; that skinny-kid self-image I had was too ingrained for me to take her question seriously.  Now that I look at this photo of myself, more than a quarter of a century later, I can really envy the body I had back then.  I only wish I could see some of the artwork done of me at the time...

1 comment:

  1. My (now kinda-sorta ex) boyfriend is skin-and-bones and I love it. I can see his muscles and bones and the ways they interact! I've learned all kinds of things about anatomy just by watching him walk around the house naked.

    It makes me sad when skinny boys feel undesirable. They are my favourite kind of boy.

    ReplyDelete