Saturday, December 7, 2013

Cabin Fever

Today is Day Two of the big Dallas/Fort Worth ice storm.  It hit Thursday night.  I was told by my full time job to try to get to work.  I made a half-hearted effort Friday morning, but I ultimately decided to not risk the icy roads.  Worse than the icy roads are the other drivers.  So I have been in the house for over 48 hours now, minus a few minutes in the car Friday morning.  I really miss the warmth and the sun.  Our high temperature on Wednesday was 79 degrees.  I woke up at one point in the night last night and checked the weather app on my phone.  It said the current temperature was 15.

The novel is progressing, but I feel like I'm getting bogged down.  The entire manuscript is over 72,000 words now.  My November total was just over 60,000 words, and I've been writing a minimum of 1000 words per day since December started.  I'm pushing through.  It will be at least 90,000 words, I think, when the first draft is done.  Then the real work will start.

I have one more anatomy class at the Texas Academy of Figurative Art.  I then have a morning life drawing session at the Fort Worth Community Arts Center on December 17th and a Sunday session at the Dallas Creative Arts Center on January 19th.  After that, the spring semester will have started, and I'm hoping to pick up some modeling gigs at the University of Texas at Arlington.  It's just getting past this slow period that is the challenge.  If only the streets would thaw so I could get out...

No comments:

Post a Comment