Monday, February 27, 2012

Cowtown 5K

I ran in the annual Cowtown 5K race this past Saturday morning.  I'm not really much of a runner, but this was my fourth time running this particular race.  My best time was in 2009 after I had done about two months of training; I finished at 27 minutes and 15 seconds.  I didn't do much training this year, and I wound up with an official chip time of 30:42.

Since I hadn't trained much, the effort of running 3.1 miles left my legs feeling like jello.  The bad part about that is that I modeled for a drawing class later that morning.  In fact, the class started less than 45 minutes after I crossed the finish line.  The instructor of the class had asked me to model the Wednesday before, and since my wife and I had just returned from a Palm Springs vacation that we will be paying for for awhile, I didn't want to turn down the work.

The short gesture poses were the most difficult of the morning, since they occurred at the beginning of the session and they were five minutes long, not the 30 seconds to one minute poses that I do at the beginning of most classes.  And being the dedicated model that I am, I like to take advantage of the short pose times, even the five minute ones, to give the artists things that I just couldn't do for the 20 minutes or longer poses.

I made it through OK, but I did leave the class on shaky legs.  And since I hadn't had time to eat between the race and the class, I was famished.  I went straight to a Jack-in-the-Box and ate a large lunch.  I don't recommend running a 5K right before a modeling session, so that will probably be something I'll try to avoid in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment