Thursday, February 9, 2012

Lucian Freud

I just saw this story about the Lucian Freud portrait exhibit which opened in London yesterday.  It describes how Sue Tilley, a model for quite a few of Freud's paintings, attended the opening with Kate Middleton, the Duchess of Cambridge.  I am particularly interested in this exhibit because its next stop, and its only stop in the United States, will be right here in Fort Worth, Texas.  The Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth's website lists it as opening on July 1st.  I plan on being there that day.

I've always been fascinated with Lucian Freud's paintings, especially his nudes.  I was modeling for a life drawing class at the University of Texas at Arlington some time in the late '80s or early '90s, and the instructor, an older gentleman named Bill Stegall, had a book which contained photographs of several of Freud's paintings.  I did a pose emulating one of them, a stark, curious painting called Naked Man with Rat.  Fortunately for me, I got to do it without the rat...

No comments:

Post a Comment